Welcome Veterans, Spouses and Military Dependents.
Veterans, their spouses and children must apply to USCB and be accepted into a degree seeking program to receive benefits.
Veterans and their dependents must also apply to VA for their benefits. Apply at GI Bill website - www.gibill.va.gov. Please allow 4-6 weeks for processing.
Montgomery G.I. Bill
This program provides educational benefits to individuals that served on active duty. To apply, complete VA Application 22-1990 online at: http://www.VA.gov.
Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program
Vocational Rehabilitation for Service-Disabled Veterans. This program is for individuals who have a compensable service connected disability and the United States Department of Veterans Affairs determines that training and rehabilitation services are needed to overcome an employment handicap. To apply, complete VA Application 28-1900 at: http://www.benefits.va.gov/VOCREHAB/.
New Post 9/11 G.I. Bill
This program is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill. The Post 9/11 G.I. Bill will become effective for training on or after August 1, 2009. To apply, complete VA Application 22-1990 online at: http://www.VA.gov.
Yellow Ribbon Program for Veterans
The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows institutions of higher learning (degree granting institutions) in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition rate. The institution can contribute up to 50% of those expenses and VA will match the same amount as the institution. The University of South Carolina Beaufort has agreed to accept an unlimited number of applicants who are eligible for the Post 9/11 (Ch. 33) benefit at the 100% rate. No application required.
Visit https://www.va.gov/education/about-gi-bill-benefits/post-9-11/yellow-ribbon-program/for more information.
Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA)
This program is for dependents (spouse or children) of individuals who die or are permanently disabled from service connected causes. To apply, complete VA Application 22-5490 online at: http://www.VA.gov
Montgomery G.I. Bill – Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)
This program is available to members of the Selected Reserve, including the National Guard. To apply, complete VA Application 22-1990 online at: http://www.VA.gov. The form DD2384 (NOBE) is required.
Montgomery G.I. Bill – Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)
A Department of Defense education benefit developed to provide benefits for Reservists called to active duty after September 11, 2011 in response to a war or national emergency, as determined by the President or Congress. A member of a reserve component must have served at least 90 consecutive days or more regardless of duty status. To apply, complete VA Application 22-1990 online at: http://www.VA.gov. The form DD2384 (NOBE) is required.
South Carolina Free Tuition for Children of Certain War Veterans, Police Officers, Firemen or Rescue Workers
Children of deceased or 100% disabled Veterans, who were killed or disabled during military service, can attend any SC State supported institutions up until their 26th birthday and pay no tuition. Fees still apply. Applications are available in the Financial Aid/VA Office.
Children of deceased or 100% disabled police officers, firemen, or rescue workers, who were killed or disabled while on duty, can go to any SC State supported institution for a total of four years and pay no tuition. Fees still apply. Contact our Cashier's Office to apply at 843.208.8008.
VA Pending Payment Compliance
USCB Policy for the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018.
This policy complies with Title 38 United States Code Section 3679(e) School Compliance Form. This policy pertains to a Covered Individual, which is any individual who is entitled to educational assistance under Chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, or Chapter 33, Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits.
USCB will permit any Covered Individual to attend or participate in the course of education during the period beginning on the date on which the individual provides to the educational institution a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) for entitlement to educational assistance under Chapter 31 or 33 and ending on the earlier of the following dates:
- The date on which payment from VA is made to the institution.
- 90 days after the date the institution certified tuition and fees following the receipt of the certificate of eligibility.
Note: A Certificate of Eligibility can also include a Statement of Benefits obtained from
the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) website, e-Benefits, or VAF 28-1905 Form for
Chapter 31 authorization purposes.
USCB will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or require that a covered individual borrow additional funds, on any covered individual because of the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement funding from VA under Chapter 31 or 33. Our policy requires the covered individual to take the following actions:
- Submit a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or VAF 28-1905 for entitlement for educational assistance no later than the first day of a course of education.
- Complete our Veteran Certification Form each semester to use such entitlement.
- Provide additional information necessary to the proper certification of enrollment by the educational institution such as: the Change in the Place of Training or Program Form (VAF 22-1995 or 22-5495), USCB’s Statement of Understanding Form and Prior Credit Form, etc.
USCB will not drop any Covered Individual after the Financial Aid/VA Office receives
a copy of the VAF-28-1905 or receives a Chapter 33 Post 911 COE who does not have
additional charges such as housing, meal plans, or anything above the Tuition and
Fees. The Covered Individual will not be dropped if VA covers 100% of tuition and
basic fees. If extra charges such as housing or meal plans have not been paid or a
payment arrangement not made with the Cashier’s Office, that student may be dropped
for lack of a payment.
USCB reserves the right to require an additional payment or impose a fee for the amount that is the difference between the amount of the student’s financial obligation and the amount of the VA education benefit disbursement. If VA does not pay the institution, the student is responsible for ALL debts resulting from reductions or terminations of the student’s enrollment, even if the payment was submitted directly to the school on the student’s behalf.
- Veterans Certification Form
- Prior Credit Memo Form for Bachelor's Degree-Seeking Students
- Prior Credit Memo Form for Associate's Degree-Seeking Students
- Statement of Understanding
Useful Links and Websites
- GI Bill Website: https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/
- Applying for Benefits: https://www.vets.gov/education/apply/#modal
- GI Bill Calculator – Calculate Your Benefits: http://www.newgibill.org/calculate-your-benefits
- WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment): https://gibill.va.gov/wave/index.do
- Benefits: https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage
- SC Application for Free Tuition for Certain War Veterans' Children: https://scdva.sc.gov/sites/default/files/Documents/Benefits/TuitionAssistanceApplication-Fillable-VA.pdf
- Vocational Rehab: https://www.benefits.va.gov/vocrehab/index.asp
- Federal Benefits for Veterans and Dependents: https://www.va.gov/opa/publications/benefits_book.asp
- Rebuild DD214: https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records
- Request Military Documents: www.archives.gov/research_room/vetrecs/
- General Army Educational Information: https://www.goarmyed.com/
- Alternative Army Educational Programs: https://www.goarmyed.com/
- National Guard: https://www.nationalguard.com/education
- The Army's Transcript Service: https://www.goarmyed.com/public/public_programs_services-aarts_transcripts.aspx
- myPay: Manage your Pay Information, Leave & Earning Statements, W-2s and more. mypay.dfas.mil/mypay.aspx
- The Fund for Veterans' Education:
Provides scholarships to veterans who served in Afghanistan or Iraq since September 11, 2001. www.veteransfund.org
- Payment Questions Chaps. 30, 35 & 1606, Muskogee, Oklahoma Regional Office: (888) 442-455
- Payment Questions Chap. 31, Columbia Regional Office: (800) 827-1000
- South Carolina State Tuition Waiver Columbia: (803) 255-4317
- Debt Management Due to Overpayment Chaps. 30, 35 & 1606: (800) 227-0648